Thursday 12 February 2015

Karachi Literature Festival 2015


What I Saw & What I Liked

The weekend concluded the three day long literary festival that can easily be stated as Karachi’s biggest and most anticipated literary events. I, myself, had only been to the 4th KLF before this one, so I’d admit I was quite unaware of how intense the entire phenomenon is. But I wanted to make sure I attended this one since I had received the list of programs for all three day and had gotten super excited to know that there were such esteemed personalities invited there to speak and share their experiences and knowledge with us. Unfortunately, I was only able to attend the festival on the last day, nevertheless I had a really good experience.
  
I was able to catch most of the conversation with Bushra Ansari and the dramatic reading of works of Deputy Nazeer Ahmed by Fawad Khan and Nazarul Hasan of NAPA. Needless to say Bushra Ansari was her interesting and delightful self; it is so refreshing to listen to a celebrity of her status be so natural and honest. I have always loved the way she talks; so friendly and frank that she makes everyone around her comfortable. The conversation was lead by Nimra Bucha, another talented and delightful actress. From trps to single handedly raising children, she asked all the right questions to which Ansari gave such enjoyably witty answers.

Nimra Bucha in conversation with Bushra Ansari
I was quite happily surprised to witness the performance of NAPA students. Such command on Urdu language, just the right expressions and most impressive was their ability to memorize some 60-90 minutes long performance. The pauses, stresses, speed, enunciation and vocal expressions; you name it and it was perfectly professional. I could just close my eyes and easily understand everything and imagine the entire scene, something which is very important in storytelling.  Two thumbs up to the boys!

Some of the things I brought back from the festival
I got an arts and crafts book for a kid I know. This was rightly priced though I could have still gotten it for a lesser amount somewhere else, but I didn't mind. I did however wanted to get a book of my choice, but almost all the books cost  a lot. Oxford Press in this regards never disappoints me. I absolutley love english novels and Urdu poetry. It has these small poetry editions of various poets for Rs.100. I had bought 3 at the the 4th KLF and got another one this time too. Though I would have preferred to get a thicker book, but I'm always pleased to get something I like for a reasonable price and Oxford Press always has something or the other me.

Coke gave away free samples to anyone who donated books. No matter how much you already like this brand, it always finds another way to make you fall in love with it! Ladies were given free 'I Am Karachi' t-shirts.

And of course I got a brochure and participation form for the Youth Festival being held at Arts Council.


Finally, giving an overview of the festival, here’s a quick list of the things I liked and the others not so much.


The thumbs up worthy
  1. Much better organized in terms of security and placements of stalls
  2. Addition of a food court this year (always a plus point)!
  3. The books, of course
  4. The list of programs was nicely decided; it attracted the crowd as well as personalities from all over the country and abroad for promoting multiple causes.
  5. You get to meet a lot of noteworthy personalities
  6. I was really glad to see quite a few schools trips there and organizations promoting different causes
  7. You get to learn so much that's happening around by just the different pamphlets being handed down


The off putters
  1. Shortage of seats (somehow always seems to be the issue at events like this)
  2. People saving seats for future use (we have all been a victim to this way too often! I missed a lot of good stuff just because people had occupied more than one seats, in the food court and pretty much everywhere else)
  3. People talking and walking in the middle of programs (this not only disturbs the audience but also the people on the stage, not to forget its rude)
  4. The books seemed to be less in number and variety plus they were quite expensive which beats the purpose. I had my heart set on ‘Deewan-e-Ghalib’ but couldn't buy it because it was for Rs.600!
  5. The free loaders fighting for and stacking up free samples are just too irritating anywhere.


SSK

No comments:

Post a Comment