Wednesday 22 July 2015

The Prodigy



I think it is the kind of music that a person listens that motivates his or her interests. I used to listen to classical symphonies by Beethoven and Mozart when I was really young, I remember, I would challenge myself to figure them out on the piano by just listening.


Arsalan Hasan is a mere 18-year-old from Lahore and recently finished with his A-Levels. A self learnt musician, producer, composer and song writer he primarily plays the keyboard along with sometimes experimenting with the guitars and drums too. But if you though this is it, think again, He is also a vocalist in the making. A firm beleiver of 'learning never stops', Arsalan was 3 years old when a got a toy piano as a birthday gift; believe it or not he learnt to play classical symphonies on that little piano. His major inspiration comes from the legendary musicians and composers like Beethoven, Mozart etc. By the age of 9, he had begun to record and make his own music. Growing up, he idolised Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and other rock/metal bands and produced EDM and House music for fun. As his skills and talent matured over the years, he has started listening to more versatile genres. It wasn't until some three years ago that he picked up the guitar and has recently started playing the drums as well. While his favorite band is Dream Theater (most of his original compositions are inspired by their music), Jordan Rudess (Keyboardist for Dream Theater) remains his idol.

1- What do you think plays the most important part in motivating the a child from the start to recognize his interest and start working on it, be it music or something else?
I personally think that it is basically the experiences in life that play an important part. Musically speaking, I think it is the kind of music that a person listens that motivates his or her interests. I used to listen to classical symphonies by Beethoven and Mozart when I was really young, I remember, I would challenge myself to figure them out on the piano by just listening. For me the internet did not exist at that time. Plus it is the parents' and teachers' support that leads you to finding out and pursuing your interest.

2- What are the challenges such a young musician has to face?
The biggest challenge for young musicians perhaps is juggling their studies along with what they do. Personally it was a really huge challenge for me but I have been able to cope up with all of it for almost the last 10 years and have always managed to maintain my grades.

3- How did you get selected for Nescafe?
Basically, Xulfi was there at my school judging a competition where I was heading the event. He asked me if I played anything. I showed him a few videos I had in my phone. We got into contact , I was called in for a live audition and now here I am.

4- How do you see such massive appreciation and recognition at this age? Is it tricky to handle since it can go either way (make or break the artist)?

I think this depends on the nature of the person. For me massive appreciation and recognition at this age is a source of motivation to thrive and achieve more and more. Moreover, it has pushed me to improve and do what I do even better.





 Massive appreciation and recognition at this age is a source of motivation to thrive and achieve more and more. Moreover, it has pushed me to improve and do what I do even better.



Season 3 in a Go
Most mischievous? Bilawal & myself
Most mature? Haider Abbas
Someone with the best advice: Xulfi
Most fun: Bilawal Lahooti
Most surprising: Nazar Abbas
Most artistic: Melvin Arthur



No comments:

Post a Comment