Sunday 22 March 2015

Food Review: Warning! A lot of oil here, you might slip!


This is a totally unplanned food review. But food that compels you to write and share about it isn't necessarily good. I was meeting up a friend at Atrium and she was running late. I got hungry and decided to indulge myself. Heading towards the food court, I was just amazed to see the rush their and afraid that I won't be able to get a seat since each one was occupied!


So with my first order in my hand, I stood their feeling completely awkward until these two ladies were luckily done. I first ordered the regular OPTP masala fries. I know that everyone under the sun has had them and they're old news. But I don't plan to compliment and recommend them. Hands down, the most overrated fries ever! Sure they're crispy and the masala is good too, but everyone who has had them knows there is a lot of salt too and the coating becomes unbearable when you reach the end of the cup. This is the reason, for a 100 bucks a cup I don't go for it though I might want to share it with someone occasionally, and I'd rather get those a box full of fries for 60 from a Pathan vendor on the street. I actually quite enjoy and prefere them when it comes to french fries.




Coming to the meal that urged me to write this, I ordered the world cup deal from China Grill for 600. The picture was quite deceiving as I mistook the fried chicken pieces to be prawn tempura, there was also no pointers on the poster as to what it was supposed to be. It contain a serving of chowmein, one of rice and a gravy (I ordered schezuan) and 4 pieces of fried chicken. 


     

I don't even know where to begin with this one. They might as well have just given me a bowl of oil, these pieces were SO oily! I felt like I had ordered a serving of cholesterol. The chicken was so juicy and soft that it could have gotten 4 stars but all of that was overshadowed by the amount of oil in the pieces. There was no sauce with it too. Even if the chicken was good, how is one supposed to have dry chicken? Thoroughly disappointed.



The chowmein had no colour in it which is why I dreaded tasting it. And I was right to do so. No taste at all plus when I mixed it, the oil started shining through! The veggies were fine, I guess. By this time two/thirds of my meal had been so disappointing I had little appetite left.



I was almost warned by the guy at the counter that schezuan would be spicy to which I was pretty delighted as I live for spicy food. And the chicken was spicy. The batter was a mixture of chili flakes, most probably, and ketchup. It was thick and the chicken was visually quite tempting. But the taste did not set well with me at all! I caught my tongue every time I took a bite; it tasted really spicy and sour and had a sweet after taste. The onion was very crunchy, something I loved but it had a sharp taste telling me it wasn't cooked properly. So I couldn't eat much of that too. I'm not sure though whether this is supposed to taste like this, luckily this gets a pass.

The  fried rice were such a delight! I had a few more bites of the schezuan just so that I could have the rice and finished almost all of it separately too. There wasn't too much pepper or garlic, something all eateries have started using in their fried rice in great amount for some reason. It looked good and tasted better, definitely deserves full marks!

I had eaten at china grill only twice earlier and both the times the food was good. Nothing great but not bad at all. I get that they have to have a lot of stuff prepared before hand, but what can excuse such a meal when it is paid for and your business depends on customer service?

It was really sad to come across a Chinese food outlet that could only nail egg fried rice successfully.
Until later, take care. And do let me know which other place I should review and if this was helpful.


SSK

No comments:

Post a Comment