Friday 28 August 2015

Little Miss MUA of the Week - Qirat Baber


























This might sound really clichéd but I didn't know dressing up my barbies would eventually turn into dressing up real life dolls


Being a victim of habitual surfing on Facebook is not always such a bad thing. This is proven every time I come across some really good people or information. Since I am a make-up enthusiast, a lot of my surfing revolves around beauty blogs and make-up artists. I came across Qirat Baber on one of those days and was surprised that I did not already know about her. This young lady is not only really good at her work but she is quite young to be that good. It obviously feels good when I come across such young people who exhibit craft, hard work and passion towards whatever they do and are working to make their dreams reality. Coincidentally, since I am also celebrating young make-up artists this month, I decided to have a talk with her immediately. 
The only sister of three brothers, Qirat always behaved and talked like a boy naturally, but as she grew up, her mom would braid her hair and invested all her time to dress up her girl, something she is extremely thankful for. She tells me she would try to play with her mother's make-up but would get scolded every time she went near her dressing table. This girl who looks like a doll herself says she would dress up her barbies with utmost passion and admiration; make them wear lipstick and make sure she braided the hair or cut them according to the latest trends then. It is hard to imagine her surprise when she turned her attention from that to dressing up real life dolls. The humble beauty gives all the credit to Allah, her parents and her two best friends.


How long have been working as make-up artist for?
I have been practicing since the past four years but I started professionally about seven months ago.

How supportive are people and your family about your work?
My family and my friends are my pillars, they are my biggest strength! The positivity around me has made me who I am today.

What problems did you have to face to establish an entrepreneurial setup to practice your skills?
Really none! When you have friends and family supporting you and when you believe in yourself, there is nothing that can stop you.

What proper avenues do you think girls need to learn the craft and become a professional? Are those channels lacking here?
With the increasing talent here in Pakistan, girls need to properly go and learn one-on-one; practice makes man perfect, practice makes your make-up perfect too. Attend classes and learn how to use your products. Buying them is easy, applying them is not! I did not think to start professionally until I  had not practiced enough. We definitely lack proper make-up academys and schools here.

How did you learn? What inspired you towards the field?
I started off doing make-up on my friends; they would come to me for all the events they had to go to and encouraged me to really work on  my skills further. My first ever make-up class was from Anam Falak who even asked if I had taken proper courses before because I was so good. At that moment, I was on cloud nine! But I never thought I would get to where I am today Allhumdulliah.

What are the perks and perils of styling clients at the salon as opposed to at home?
I have a home-based studio but that is my personal working space where no one is allowed to enter! In order for your client to get the right feeling, you definitely need a professional environment. It makes them feel comfortable.

How important is the role of social media in promoting talent? Does it also expose you to a lot of harshness?
Social media is like a backbone when it comes to promoting talent, it really gives you a platform to show what you have to the world but of course everything has its own detriments. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
On every magazine in Pakistan and one of the top MUA’s around InshAllah!

What advice would you like to give to young girls who want to become make-up artist and hair stylists?
Never give up! You might face a lot of difficulties in the beginning but it will all be worth it in the end. Practice, practice and practice and no one can ever stop you to get to the top.

You have been holding a lot of classes for young girls too. What brought on the idea?
Now, go forth and spread beauty and light (Elizabeth  Laban). This is exactly what I wanted to do - spread beauty, love and light.

What are the most common mistakes that you see your students making when they come in first? What are their strengths?
Not understanding that everything needs preparations likewise your skin needs it too before you put anything on it. Skin care is the most essential part of your makeup. Their strength is in how keen they are to learn. I am always surprised to see how motivated and enthusiastic these girls are to learn.






Rapid Fire

Your biggest inspiration? 
My mother (who looks like my sister) and Huda Kattan

Best fall/winter routine for skin?
You are what you eat so eat healthy. Cleanse, tone and moisturise.
Exfoliate at least twice a week. You get this right, you won't have a single skin problem, I promise!

Best fall/winter routine for hair?
Oiling. Coconut oil is my ultimate favourite for both hair and skin.

Someone you would love to work with? 
Huda Kattan, Tamanna Roshan, Mahira Khan, Natasha Khalid, Kareen Kapoor
Priyanka Chopra, Emma Watson - I can go on and on and on.

Someone you would love to be styled by?
Samer Khouzami

Biggest dream?
To be one of the top MUA’s around the world

Proudest/most memorable moment?
When clients message you in the middle of the night to tell you how they don't feel like taking off their makeup!

If you had to choose anything other profession?
I can't think of anything other than being a make-up artist, this is what I love.

You wish you could…?
Own every single make-up product, literally.
  
The best kind of clients are…?
The ones who sit back and ask me to do what I think will look good on them.

The worst kind of clients are…?
Who keep checking and disturbing you throughout the make-up. They just don't let you finish and I always have to remind them that there is still a lot to be done till they see the finish product. 

You are happiest when?
My parents are happy and when my clients come back to me

Your favourite look to work on?
I like to work on someone who really thinks they are average looking even though they are not. I love to simply bring out the best in them. And of course bridal! 


No comments:

Post a Comment