Friday 21 August 2015

Little Miss MUA of the Week - Zara Imtiaz


I always strive to provide latest styles in make-up, which are consistent with international standards. My aim is to bring innovative trends and modern styles to my clients.


I came across this talented young lady through one of my friends and of course because of my own love and passion for the craft. In less than five years, she has managed to make a name for herself and a standard that her clients enjoy and crave. She has always had a passion for beauty & fashion, which led her to pursue a college degree in fashion design during which she became attracted to the glamorous world of make-up. She decided to learn make-up professionally in 2012, and enrolled at the London College of Makeup where she learnt fashion, photographic and media make-up, special effects and dressing hair. She is also Dermalive certified from the Dermalogica Academy for Skincare and received ‘Young Entrepreneur in spotlight’ at an award ceremony honouring and appreciating hardworking women of talent at the Sindh Governor House in Karachi earlier this year.


How long have been working as a make-up artist for? How did you start?
I started working as a professional MUA in mid 2012 while studying at Asian Institute of Fashion Design and subsequently learning make-up from London College of Make-up. Initially, I started with a table in my room and slowly with my family's help, I grew in strength to establish my own studio.

How supportive are people and your family about your work?
My family has been my biggest strength; it has always believed in me and supported me in following my passion. All my friends have been encouraging and I am blessed to be surrounded by such positive people.

What proper avenues do you think girls need to learn the craft and become a professional? Are those channels lacking here?
The proper way is to attend to institutes or schools that offer make-up & beauty courses as a degree or diploma. This will insure that students receive the required technical knowledge and acquire skills needed to become a make-up artist. Unfortunately, no such schools exist in Pakistan as this field is yet to be properly recognized here. Only recently make-up artists have started imparting their skills to students by holding classes which is a great initiative. I am hopeful this will lead to establishment of a professional institute.

What inspired you towards the field?
While studying Fashion Design, I realised I was more attracted towards the glitz and glamour that this field offered. I started with short courses at Bina Khan, Pivot Point and then went to London College of Makeup to complete Diploma and getting certified from International Makeup Association.

What are the perks and perils of styling clients at the salon as opposed to at home?
The Studio provides complete set-up and a professional environment which is not available in a home environment. Also the clients feel more comfortable at the studio where they can relax and receive services they want.

How important is the role of social media in promoting talent? Does it also expose you to a lot of harshness?
Social media has its perils, however it is an important way to engage with clients and potential ones. It has helped me in promoting my business and expose my brand to a wider audience.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I would like to represent Pakistan in international events and be counted as one of the top MUA’s in the country.

What advice would you like to give to young girls who want to become make-up artists and hair stylists?
Young girls aspiring to enter this field need to take professional classes and then build a portfolio while continuing to practice their skills. There is no substitute for experience hence they should practice and engage in professional employment where they can enhance their skills.

You have been holding a lot of classes for young girls too. What brought on the idea?
I took this initiative when I recognised the lack of learning options in Karachi as most girls do not understand the proper techniques of applying make-up. These classes help them to learn grooming and important techniques.

What are the most common mistakes that you see your students making when they come in first? What are their strengths?
A lot of my students lack of basic understanding of skin care which is most important. Their most admirable strength is their willingness to learn.


Short & Simple

Your biggest inspiration? 
My mother & Natasha Khalid

Best fall/winter routine for skin?
Cleanser, toner and moisturiser; it keeps your skin fresh.

Best fall/winter routine for hair?
Shampoo and conditioner frequently to keep hair healthy and fresh. Oil and protein treatment is important to keep hair shiny and away from dryness.

Someone you would love to work with? 
International MUAs Jaclyn Hill & Huda Beauty 

Someone you would love to be styled by?
International MUAs Tamanna Roshan & Aiman Shan 

Proudest/most memorable moment?
When I launched my own makeup studio.

If you had to choose any other field?
Fashion designing

The best kind of clients are…?
Ones who trust my ability to give them the best look rather then instructing me on every step.

The worst kind of clients are…?
Ones who don’t come for their appointments on time, it shows lack of respect for everyone else's time.

You are happiest when?
When I am busy at work and my clients are satisfied with their looks.

Your favourite look to work on?
Bridal & fashion looks.



No comments:

Post a Comment