Friday 7 August 2015

Little Miss MUA of the Week - Zulekha Muhammad Yasin



I still remember, about six months back, I received an email from a 20 year old girl out rightly asking me to feature her in the magazine I was working at, at the time. I was taken a back by how confident and bold she was and yet always respectful and humble. She told me how hard its been for her  to pursue her passion while studying to become a dentist and constantly facing discouragement. She wanted to have a forum where she could share her story. I decided to give her a fair chance and visited her page, and I am glad I did.
As a makeup enthusiast myself, I really liked the pictures of her work on her clients' hair but specially face; she showed a lot of potential back then and she has just continued to improve and grow ever since. Today, she has a lot else to her credit; having done a few courses herself, she has held numerous classes to teach young, aspiring girls like herself and proudly boasts of a good and steady clientele. I am glad to have given Zulekha a chance; I found a friend and have become a part of the supported system for someone who has a bright future ahead!


How long have you been doing make-up for? How did you start?
I have always loved makeup; it is an art for me. I started one-and-a-half years ago. I used to do it on small scale but the appreciation I got for my work motivated me towards this field to start doing major work on a bigger scale. 

Have you ever planned on being a stylist professionally?
Yes. I want to master myself in both my fields, i.e dentistry and makeup. 

How supportive are people and your family about what you do?
Many of them have tried to discourage me, but two of my friends and my parents have been my biggest supporters. They helped me at every single step I took towards this field.

What proper avenues do you think girls need to learn the craft and become a professional? Are those channels lacking here?
The first thing everyone has to learn are manners. Trust me, no matter how good you are at what you do, if your behaviour with your client isn't good or if the client isn't comfortable with you, your work means nothing. Secondly, practice. I practiced for about six to seven months  hard and straight, then started taking clients. Nowadays, girls take a few classes and start considering themselves 'make-up artists'. They need to polish their skills first, practice on their friends and family before they can start a business and most importantly learn about skin care as it plays a vital role in this field of work. And never stop learning; keep taking short courses, refreshing what you already know and increasing your knowledge through learning of new techniques. 

How did you learn?
I started from the Youtube then I took a few short courses and practiced a lot! I started with a 12 colour eye shadow palette which was my mum's wedding gift *laughs*. I would practice on my mum and sister any time I got free from studies, they would correct me. 


What are the perks and perils of styling clients at home?
Ahhh someone asked me finally! Well, you have your mum , your sisters to assist you , you have someone who can bring you a cup of tea if you are getting tired and the constant support you get whilst working is great.
But people don't understand that every home has some rules and regulations. They come and behave like its their home; they start using things without your permission and they talk and behave like without any concern. Sometimes people behave like what I do is chhota mota kaam just because I do it from home. 

How important is the role of social media in promoting talent?
Social media plays a great role in promoting your talent and business. People from all over the world encourage and appreciate you. Your craft gets promoted after people are exposed to it.

Does it also expose you to a lot of harshness?
Sometimes *laughs* 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself as a successful dentist and make-up artist InshAllah with a beautiful make-up studio next to my clinic


What advice would you like to give to young girls who want to become make-up artists and hair stylists?
Whether you want to be a make-up artist or hairstylist or anything else for that matter, stop thinking log kia kahaingay. Do what you want to because you are doing it for yourself, not for others and you will be rewarded with success in the end. Secondly, keep practicing and learning; polish your skills and trust me, the more you practice by heart and your work will only get better.





Short & Simple

Your biggest inspiration? 
Lilit Caradanian - she is born to teach. 

Best fall/winter routine for skin?
My skin type is normal Alhamdullilah, so I don't have a special skin care routine.

Best fall/winter routine for hair?
Nothing beats oiling.

Someone you would love to work with? 
Emma Stone and Mehreen Syed

Someone you would love to be styled by?
Lilit Caradanian

Biggest dream?
To get everything I wish for.

Proudest/most memorable moment?
When my I got featured in Women's Own Magazine, Pakistan

If you had to choose anything else other than make-up?
I love painting too.

You wish you could…?
Buy all the products of every single make-up brand! 

The best kind of clients are…?
Who are happy with the way you work and instead of pin pointing you on stupid things, they appreciate your work. 

The worst kind of clients are…?
Who disturb you whilst doing makeup and keep on changing their mind because they think nothing suits them. 

You’re happiest when?
When people support and encourage me and  appreciate my work. When my post gets so many likes and comments full of praises.

Your favourite look to work on?
I like the effortless glam. A beautiful face, flawless canvas, emphasis on the lashes and gorgeous brows. Enhancing someone’s natural features is my favourite type of look. 



No comments:

Post a Comment